Aside from Mardi Gras and The Rodeo, everyone is going to be talking about love for the next few weeks (spoiler alert: Valentine’s Day is almost here), and whether you’re single or in a committed relationship, it’s important to remember that we must always love and take care of ourselves first, babes!
So how do you start practicing self-care consistently? Lucky for us, there are many, many ways,
Physical Self Care
- Get enough sleep. Yes, your full 8 hours! Stop binge watching shows ’til 2AM (unless you get to sleep in the next day of course).
- Eat healthy. This doesn’t mean you have to starve yourself with a juice cleanse! Enjoy a balanced diet and indulge in a cheat meal every now and then. You’ll feel better inside and out when you eat well.
- Exercise. No, you don’t have to join a crazy crossfit gym and lift weights – but stay active. Go on a long walk or run, consistently. Check out new workout classes with a friend, get your heart rate up a few times a week! This will even help you with getting enough sleep
- Have sex. If and only if you have a partner that makes you feel good. Don’t be having sex with the shady bro who you know is not good for you.
Emotional Self Care
- Let go of grudges. But also protect your boundaries – don’t let the people who continue to hurt you keep coming back to your life.
- Learn how to manage your stress. No matter how stressful your job can be, remember that it’s just a job! Don’t let stress ruin your life, just take a deep breath and remind yourself that you can handle anything that comes your way.
- Be kind to others. When you put kindness out to the world, it’ll make its way back to you, trust.
- Cut out toxic people. Do it now.
Spiritual Self Care
- Make time to be alone with your own thoughts. Meditate or simply enjoy your own company. A date with yourself can be the best date ever!
- Pray to the higher being of your choice. It always makes me feel better when I put my worries and intentions out to the universe.
- Establish boundaries and make others respect them. Having boundaries and not allowing people to cross them will give you so much peace.
- Try yoga! You’ll be doing a physical activity AND connecting with your spiritual self. Talk about #selfcare.
Financial Self Care
- Learn how to manage your money. Adulting is hard but living paycheck to paycheck is so much harder. Learn how to not run out of money the week after you get paid.
- Start budgeting. But for real this time, set money boundaries with yourself and know when you should and shouldn’t be spending $100 on cocktails.
- Save money. For retirement, for a trip, for your wedding, for whatever you want. You’ll feel so good about yourself when you see the balance on your savings account grow!
- This might sound contradicting but also…splurge! You work for a reason, you save for a reason – treat yourself every now and then to something that’ll make you happy!
It’s simple, you can’t be the best version of yourself physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually if you don’t incorporate a self-care routine to your life. No matter how busy work gets or how crazy your life is, you need to find those little (or big) moments to show yourself a little love.