We’ve all had sad desks salads, but not all salads have to be sad. This combo of strawberries, cheese, sweet caramelized nuts for a crunch, and a balsamic vinaigrette is a simple, delicious salad that’s perfect for lunch. It’s a spring and summertime favorite especially when Louisiana strawberries are in season. If you can’t get juicy Louisiana strawberries where you live, we feel bad for you, but any you can find at your supermarket will do!
- Two cups spring mix
- 5 strawberries, sliced
- 2 TBSP goat cheese or feta cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup caramelized sliced almonds or walnuts, or plain sliced almonds or walnuts (to make your own caramelized nuts, you will need 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of sugar)
- Balsamic vinaigrette (to make your own vinaigrette, you will need balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon, and honey)
- Add the spring mix to a plate or bowl
- Top with your sliced strawberries, cheese crumbles, and nuts
- To caramelize the nuts: melt 1 tbsp butter in a skillet and add nuts + 1 tbsp of sugar. Stir constantly over medium heat until beginning to brown. Remove from heat & let cool on parchment paper!
- To make your own balsamic vinaigrette, whisk together 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp honey, and a squeeze of lemon juice. You can also add a dollop of Greek yogurt or dijon mustard to thicken the dressing a bit.
Toss the salad with the balsamic vinaigrette and a protein of your choice if you wish & enjoy! This makes enough for one salad so double the recipe for two people or quadruple for a dinner party salad!
P.S. Don’t forget to try our easy frosé at home recipe this summer!