Thank you Visit Hattiesburg for hosting our visit!
We have all had to get creative when it comes to getting away during the pandemic and we don’t know about you, but we have enjoyed it! We’ve been exploring lots of small Southern towns we had hadn’t thought to before like Hattiesburg, Mississippi! Last weekend, Alessandra flew from Houston to NOLA, we packed up Maggie’s car and headed to Hattiesburg for a girl’s weekend. It was only a two-hour drive from New Orleans, the perfect distance for a quick weekend getaway. You can also fly into Hattiesburg-Laurel Regional Airport (PIB) if you’re coming from further away!
After the drive, you’ll be ready for some fresh air and cold drinks. Here are our recommendations for your first night in Hattiesburg,
- Check in to the lovely Hotel Indigo, it’s super cozy, modern & convenient to everything you will want to do in town. Our favorite part? The hotel dogs!
- Live at Five – pack a picnic & head to the free, outdoor live music series held in Downtown Hattiesburg on Friday evenings in the spring and fall!
- Drinks at The Porter Pub downtown
- Dinner (and more drinks) at Keg & Barrel, a local favorite for craft beer drinkers, food lovers, and friends. We hear the upstairs bar gets rowdy 😉
- Head downtown for breakfast at Southbound Bagel & Coffee Shop. The cute corner restaurant has a 1950s vibe and is black-owned. #BabesTip – grab drinks to go across the street at the Blue Jazz Café
- Walk off breakfast and snap a few pics on the Hattiesburg Public Art trail (murals on murals!)
- Visit the Pocket Museum – The exact location of the miniature museum is undisclosed. Hint: You’ll be very warm if you visit the “#WhatLiftsYou Mural.”
- Grab lunch at Art of Roux food truck at Southern Prohibition Brewery, and don’t forget to sample their local brews! We recommend the Mango sour.
- Shop at fivetwentyfive – the cutest downtown boutique we stumbled into. Everything was affordable, female-made, and they have mimosas while you shop! What more could a girl ask for?
- Shop some more and find more ‘grammable opps at The Lucky Rabbit – the 15,000 square-foot, self-proclaimed junk shop, features a variety of vendors who specialize in vintage, collectible, antique, nostalgia, and handmade items. It’s nostalgia at every turn, we had so much fun here!
- Work off lunch at Alley Cats Axe Throwing Co – we didn’t think we would be any good at it, but we hit a couple of bullseyes and had so much fun doing it! #BabesTip – think of your ex while throwing the axe 😉
- Take a nap and enjoy your gorgeous Hotel Indigo room.
- If you don’t want to go too far for dinner, The Brass Hat at the Indigo is a local hotspot! Another option many people recommended was Patio 44.
- Have a night cap at Mahogany Bar, with 145 beers in house, including all nine Mississippi breweries on tap and an extensive whiskey selection, you will be sure to find your perfect drink for the evening.
- Grab breakfast at Depot Kitchen and Market – located in Downtown Hattiesburg, the depot was probably our favorite restaurant in town! Their breakfast bowls were delightful, be sure to get there during breakfast hours (ends at 11).
We had so much fun exploring Hattiesburg and we are sure you will too!